Your personal profile is plugged into your business page and it is essential in making the first page of the business. Your personal profile is different from a business page because it can be established privacy settings to make specific posts, photos, etc.. Your personal profile is where you can communicate with your friends.
How are Pages different from personal timelines?
Each person has only one account and logon information. Each account can have a personal timeline and manage multiple pages.
- Timelines are for individual, non-commercial use.
- Timelines represent individual people and must be held under an individual name.
- You can follow Timelines to see public updates of people you’re interested in but aren’t friends with.
- Pages look similar to personal timelines, but they offer unique tools for connecting people to a topic you care about, like a business, brand, organization or celebrity.
- Pages are managed by admins who have personal timelines. Pages are not separate Facebook accounts and do not have separate login information from your timeline.
- Pages provide insights to help admins understand how people are interacting with the Page.
- You can like a Page to see updates in News Feed about brands you care about.
NOTE: Making your business page with your Facebook profile does not make business page fans your friends on Facebook.
Below are the following steps which will guide you to create effective business Facebook profile.
- Add a Profile Picture & Cover Photo
- Add Things You Care About
- Update Your Basic Info
- Share, Star & Hide Stories
- Explore Your Activity Log
How to add a profile picture and cover photo.
Add profile picture
Your profile picture helps people recognize you on Facebook. To add a profile picture or change your current profile picture:
1) Go to your timeline and hover over your profile picture
2) Click on the to edit your picture
3) Choose whether you want to:
- Pick a photo you already uploaded to Facebook
- Upload a new photo
- Edit your thumbnail
- Remove your current photo
You can use any of the photos you’ve uploaded to Facebook as your profile picture. You can also use photos your friends upload, if you’re tagged in them. Just find the photo you want to use, hover over the photo and select Options. Click Make Profile Picture from the menu. Crop the photo and click Done Cropping below the photo to finish making this your new profile picture.
Note: Your current profile picture is Public.
To add a new profile picture:
1) Go to your timeline and tap your profile picture
2) Tap Edit Profile Picture
3) Choose a photo from your phone’s library or tap the camera button in the bottom-left corner to take a new one.
Note: Your profile picture must be at least 180 pixels wide. If you are unsure of whether or not your picture meets this requirement, you can right-click on the picture to see the photo properties, which should include the photo dimensions (ex: 100 x 91 would be too small).
A cover photo is the larger photo at the top of your timeline, right above your profile picture. Like your profile picture, cover images are public, which means anyone visiting your timeline will be able to see them.
We’ve found that people have a better experience viewing your timeline when they see a cover that is as unique and individualized as you are. This helps people learn more about you. It also helps us prevent spam, fake profiles, and other content that can detract from your experience on Facebook. An easy way to ensure your cover image is unique is to choose an image from your life, like a photo from a wedding, day at the beach, or birthday party. If you want to use a photo to show solidarity or express support for a cause or organization, you can still post a status or photo.
To add a cover photo to your timeline:
1) Go to your timeline
2) Click Add a Cover
3) Choose whether you want to upload a new photo or pick a photo from one of your existing photo albums
4) Once you choose a photo, you can reposition it by clicking on the image and dragging it up or down
5) Click Save
Note: Your cover image has to be at least 720 pixels wide.
What’s the difference between my profile picture and cover photo?
Your profile picture is the picture that friends see next to your name everywhere on Facebook. This is how people recognize you.Your cover photo is the large image at the top of your timeline. This is your chance to feature a unique image that represents who you are or what you care about.
How do I edit my cover photo?
To edit your cover photo:
1) Go to your timeline
2) Hover over your cover photo
3) Click Change Cover at the bottom-right of your cover photo
4) Pick one of the options from the pop-up menu (ex: Upload Photo, Choose from Photos, Reposition…)
5) Save your changes
Add Things You Care About
The different sections of your About page let you show what’s happening in your life. You can add your runs, the books you’ve read, the movies you want to watch, and more.
Add Stuff to Your About Page
How do I use the + button to add things to sections of my About page (ex: Books and Events I want to watch)?
Adding things to your About page helps you share what you care about and discover what you have in common with other people. For example, to add book and events you want to watch to your About page:
- Go to your timeline
- Click About beneath your cover photo
- Scroll down to the book and events section and click Want to join and read(you may need to click Add Events)
- Search for specific titles or click to add suggested movies
When you see things that interest you on other people’s timelines or around Facebook, you can also add them by clicking
Use the audience selector to choose who can see things you add. The selector remembers your choice, so new things you add (regardless of which section you’re adding things to) will have the same audience unless you change it.
Update Your Basic Info
Edit Your Personal Info
How do I edit my basic personal info on my timeline?
You can edit your basic personal info (ex: gender, contact info, relationships, work and education) by going to your timeline and clicking Update Info beneath your cover photo. Click Edit in the top right of each section, enter your new info and click Save.
Selecting an Audience
While editing each section, you’ll see an audience selector next to most pieces of info. Select an audience to choose who you share this info with.
Note: Your email address has additional settings.
Can I choose who can see Pages and other things I’ve liked?
- You can select an audience for each section of likes on your About page:
- Go to your timeline and click About beneath your cover photo
- Scroll down to the section you want to edit
- Click in the upper-right corner of that section and select Edit Privacy
- Use the audience selector to select who can see things you’ve liked in that section
Keep in mind, when you share something on your timeline, the audience you choose can also see it other places on Facebook, such as in News Feed and search.
How do I control who can see my email address on my timeline?
Your email address has both a privacy setting (that controls who you share it with) and a setting that controls whether it shows on your timeline or not. For example, you can choose to show your email address on your timeline, but set its privacy to Friends, so your email is shared on your timeline and other places on Facebook with your friends.
To adjust who you share your email address with and decide if it shows on your timeline:
- Go to the About section at the top of your timeline
- Scroll to your Contact Info and click the Edit button
- Click the audience selector to the right of your email address to edit who your email address is shared with
- Select Shown on Timeline or Hidden from Timeline
Note: When you hide your email on your timeline, the people you share it with can still access your email address elsewhere such as in search and other places on Facebook.
How do I change my name?
You can change your name or add an alternate name (ex: nickname or maiden name) to your account. To edit your name:
Review our name standards
- Click in the upper-right corner of any Facebook page and select Account Settings
- Click General in the left-hand column
- Look for the Name setting and click Edit to the far right
- Type in your name and save your changes
Keep in mind:
- To help make sure that everyone uses their real name, we limit the number of times you can change your name.
- If you weren’t able to change your name, we may be able to help.
How do I display an alternate name (ex: nickname or maiden name) on my timeline?
If you’d like to list a second name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, or professional name), you can add an alternate name from your account settings.
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and select Account Settings.
- Click General in the left-hand column.
- Find the setting Name and click Edit to the far right.
- Enter your alternate name. Make sure it complies with our alternate name policies.
- Check Include this on my timeline to have your alternate name listed on your timeline. Otherwise, it will only help people find you in search.
- Save your changes.
Note: If you checked the box to have your alternate name listed on your timeline, it’ll appear next to your name at the top of your personal timeline page. It’ll also show up next to your name in search results and any friend requests you send. If you have a large number of followers, you may be prompted to verify your account when you add an alternate name to your timeline.
How is a language-specific name different from an alternate name?
A language-specific name is:
- Your real, full name, as it appears in a different language
- Shown in place of the name you signed up with throughout the site (on your timeline, in search results, posts, comments and photo tags)
- Only visible to people using Facebook in that language
An alternatate name is:
- A different version of your name, like your nickname or maiden name
- Displayed in parenthesis next to your name, but only on your timeline and in search results
- Visible to anyone who views your timeline or search results
What names are allowed on Facebook?
Facebook is a community where people use their real identities. We require everyone to provide their real names, so you always know who you’re connecting with. This helps keep our community safe.
Names can’t include:
- Symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation
- Characters from multiple languages
- Titles of any kind (ex: professional, religious, etc)
- Words, phrases, or nicknames in place of a middle name
- Offensive or suggestive content of any kind
Other things to keep in mind:
- The name you use should be your real name as it would be listed on your credit card, student ID, etc.
- Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they’re a variation of your real first or last name (like Bob instead of Robert)
- You can also list another name on your account (ex: maiden name, nickname, or professional name), by adding an alternate name to your timeline
- Only one person’s name should be listed on the account – timelines are for individual use only
- Pretending to be anything or anyone is not allowed
How will my alternate name appear to other people on Facebook?
If you checked the box to display your alternate name on your timeline, it will appear in parentheses next to your full name at the top of your timeline. People will also see your alternate name if they search for you or when you send friend requests. If you have a large number of public followers, you may have the option to verify your account and display your alternate name on the top of your timeline, with your real name in the About section.
Share, Star & Hide Stories
Explore Your Timeline
How do I navigate my timeline (ex: view past posts)?
You can scroll through your timeline or use the menu of dates on the right side of your timeline to jump from year to year. Click a year or month to see what was going on in your life during that time.
You can also choose to view Highlights or All Stories from a particular year by clicking on the dropdown menu at the top of that year’s section on your timeline.
What are the combined stories on the left side of my timeline (ex: map with all the places I’ve been)? How do I edit these stories?
These sections show you a summary of your activity during a specific period of time. These summaries can include a variety of stories, like events you attended, photos you were tagged in and places you visited.
Hover over each box and click to hide that section from your timeline or view individual stories. When you choose to view individual stories, you’ll be taken to your activity log, where you can scroll through all the stories from that section. Click next to a story to hide it from your timeline or delete it.
Note: When you hide a box from your timeline, the individual stories may still be visible to the audience they’re shared with on your timeline and elsewhere on Facebook, such as in News Feed and search.
What is the “friends posted on your timeline” box on my timeline?
This box shows posts that friends added to your timeline (starting in 2011) or posted on your wall (before 2011) for you and your friends to see.
If you’d like to hide one of the posts in this box from your timeline:
- Roll over the box
- Click the
- Select View individual stories
You can then scroll through the posts from that year in your activity log. Click next to an individual post to hide it from your timeline or delete it altogether.
Edit Your Timeline
How do I delete something posted on my timeline?
- Go to your timeline
- Hover over the story and click
- Click Delete…
If you don’t want something you’re tagged in to appear on your timeline, you’ll need to remove the tag. Remember, when you remove a tag, the post will no longer appear on your timeline, but that post is still visible to the audience it’s shared with other places on Facebook, such as in News Feed and search.
How do I post to my timeline?
You can share new stories from the top of your timeline:
- Pick what type of story you want to share (ex: Status, Photo)
- Type in any details you want to add
- You can tag friends, pick a date for the story, add a feeling or what you’re doing or add a location.
- Select an audience for your post (by default, life events start off as public)
- Click Post
How do I star a story on my timeline? What does starring a story do?
- Hover over the story you want to star and click
- Starring stories lets you highlight what you think is important. Starred stories are highlighted on your timeline and include a star banner.
How do I change the date of a story on my timeline?
You can change the date of stories on your timeline, including your life events and any photos and videos you post or are tagged in. This will move the stories to a new spot on your timeline. To change the date of a story:
- Hover of the story and click
- Click Change Date
- Enter in a new date and click Save
Note: If you tag your friends in a photo, post or app activity, they’ll also have the option to change the date of this story when they see it on their timelines. You have the option to change it back.
How do I report a story on my timeline or mark a post on my timeline as spam?
To remove a story from your timeline or mark a post on your timeline as spam:
- Hover over the story
- Click and select Report/Mark as Spam from the dropdown menu
- Click the link to make a detailed report or click Remove Post to remove this post from your timeline
Explore Your Activity Log
See Your Activity
Your activity log is a list of your posts and activity, from today back to the very beginning. You’ll also see stories and photos you’ve been tagged in, as well as the connections you’ve made – like when you liked a Page or added someone as a friend.
What is my activity log?
Your activity log is a tool that lets you review and manage what you share on Facebook. Only you can see your activity log.
How do I get to my activity log?
- You can get to your activity log from your privacy shortcuts:
- Click your privacy shortcuts in the upper-right corner of the page and select Who can see my stuff?
- Click Use Activity Log.
Note: Only you can see your activity log. However, stories in your activity log may appear other places on Facebook, like on your timeline, in search or in your friends’ News Feeds.
What’s included in my activity log?
Your activity log includes all your stories, organized by the date they happened on Facebook. This means when you add a life event to your timeline, it will show up in your activity log on the day you added it, not the day of the event itself.
By default, your activity log shows your activity from the current year, starting with your most recent activity. Click on a year (in the top-right corner) to jump directly to that time.
How do I quickly view my photos, and photos I’m tagged in, that are shared with Public?
Your activity log lets you review your photos, and photos you’re tagged in, that are shared with Public. To view photos shared with Public:
- Go to your activity log
- Click Photos in the left-hand column
- Select Public from the filter at the top of your activity log next to Shared with
You can also review photos that you’ve hidden on your timeline by selecting Hidden from the dropdown menu next to On timeline. Keep in mind, photos you’ve hidden on your timeline are still visible to the audience they’re shared with other places on Facebook, such as in News Feed and search.
Control What Goes on Your Timeline
You’ll see two dropdown menus next to each story in your activity log. The first lets you adjust the privacy of your posts, or it shows you the privacy setting if it’s a story created by a friend (like when someone writes on your timeline or tags you in a post). The second dropdown menu controls the visibility of the story on your timeline and gives you the option to hide, allow or star the story on your timeline. You also have the option to delete anything you post on Facebook. Keep in mind, posts you hide on your timeline are still visible elsewhere to the audience they’re shared with on Facebook, including in search, News Feed and other places on Facebook.
On some stories, like posts from applications, you can report the post as spam, turn off publishing from the app or remove the app from your timeline altogether.
How do I use my activity log to hide or remove stories?
- Go to your activity log
- Find the story you’re looking for
- The audience selector next to the story shows you who the story is shared with
- You can hide or delete certain stories right from your activity log by clicking next to it
Keep in mind, stories you hide from your timeline may still be visible to the audience they’re shared with other places on Facebook, such as in News Feed and search.
How do I find a particular type of story in my activity log?
Different types of stories (ex: posts by others, likes, comments) are listed in the left-hand column. Just click on a specific type of activity and those stories will appear chronologically in your activity log. You can return to a complete view of your activity log by clicking All at the top of the left-hand column.
You can return to a complete view of your activity log by clicking All at the top of the left-hand column.
If you’ve turned on timeline review in your Privacy Settings, you’ll find your pending posts at the top of your activity log. You can quickly approve new content and tags from your friends by clicking the check mark, or you can X them out if you don’t want them to appear on your timeline. Keep in mind, posts and photos waiting for review or hidden on your timeline are still visible elsewhere to the audience they’re shared with on Facebook, including in search, News Feed and other places on Facebook.
What is timeline review? How do I turn timeline review on?
Posts you’re tagged in can appear in News Feed, search and other places on Facebook. Timeline review is part of your activity log and lets you choose whether these posts also appear on your timeline.
When people you’re not friends with tag you in a post, they automatically go to timeline review. If you would also like to review tags by friends, you can turn on timeline review for tags from anyone:
- Click at the top right of any Facebook page and select Account Settings
- In the left-hand column, click Timeline and Tagging
- Look for the setting Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your timeline? and click Edit to the far right
- Select Enabled from the dropdown menu
Following the above steps and guidelines will definitely help you to create the most professional profile a every professional should always create.I would love to give special thanks to FaceBook Help for the Information.
Share and Enjoy