Your business is to its customers. Build relationships with them, reach new people and boost sales with Facebook.
More than a billion people who like and comment an average of 3.2 billion times a day. When you have a strong presence on Facebook, your business is part of these discussions and have access to the most powerful form of marketing word-of-mouth – recommendations from friends.
Four steps to successful business on Facebook
Your page is the central place to grow your business, build your brand and develop relationships with your customers.
Create a Facebook Page
- It is free to set up a page and only takes a few minutes to start.
- Select a category and a page name that your business represents.
- Choose a logo or another image that people associate with your business to use as a profile picture.
- Write a sentence about your business that people understand what you do.
- Set up an memorable web address for your page that can be used in marketing material to promote your presence on Facebook.
- Pick a cover photo that represents your brand and displays your product or service. It is the first thing people see when they visit your page.
Other Important Details
- See views, edit the content of your page, keeping track of new activity and respond to personal messages from your admin panel.
- Click the Edit Page button in the admin panel and select Info Update to add other details about your business.
You’re ready to create your first post
You can create different types of messages in your page including updates, photos, videos and questions. People who like your page will see some updates in your news feed.
The power of Facebook News Feed:
- Your page is where you create the messages that are shown on the News Feed, the center of the attraction of Facebook
- News Feed is where people spend their time on Facebook – in fact, 40% of their time
- It’s where people share the most important parts of their lives and where companies can engage in conversation
Successful posts are:
- Short: Posts between 100 and 250 characters get about 60% more likes, comments and shares
- Visual: Photo albums, pictures and videos get 180%, 120%, and 100% more engagement respectively
- Optimised: Page Insights help you learn things such as what times people engage most with your content so you can post during those hours.
Invite people you know to like your Page
You probably have a community of friends, family, customers and employees who care about your business. Invite them to like your page.
Things to Do:
- Explore the options under the Build Audience button on your admin panel. Be sure to invite your Facebook friends to like your Page.
- Click on ‘Invite Email Contacts’ to upload your email list and send a message asking people to like your Page.
- Promote your Page web address on shop signs, business cards, receipts, emails, chalkboards and other marketing material.
Connect With People
Now that you have a page, it’s time to reach your customers and prospects. Connect with the people who are the right fit for your business with Facebook Ads.
Create Facebook Adverts
Facebook Ads are paid messages from companies and may include the social context of friends. Those who like your page spend an average of 2 times more like a customer than people who are not connected to you on Facebook. Learn how to reach the right people with ads.
Set up your first advert
Choose the Page you want to promote and under ‘What would you like to do?’ you can:
- Get More Page Likes: Reach people who are not connected to your page or site. You will be asked to design your ad including title, body text and image
- Promote Page Posts: Promote a specific position, offering greater scope and increase your chances of placement in the News Feed
- Receive new users: Get more facilities for applications Facebook application. Your ad will be shown to people who are likely to install the application.
- Increase Attendance: Increase Facebook event responses. Your ad will be shown to the people most likely to join your event.
- Advanced Options: See all creative and bidding options in one place. You can toggle your bidding options between CPM and CPC
Reach the right audience
- Have an idea of the ideal customer you want to target. After choosing your ads and Sponsored Stories, you will be able to choose the specific audience for your ad.
- The estimated audience size indicates the total number of people your ad will have the opportunity to reach if your bid and budget are high enough.
- Location, age and sex let you choose the basic demographic characteristics of the audience you want to reach.
Campaign, pricing and scheduling
- Name of your campaign, select your budget and set the schedule for your campaign
- Unless you’ve chosen Advanced Options in the goals section, you’ll pay for impressions (CPM)
- These impressions will be optimized so your advert shows to the people most likely to help you reach your goal.
- You will never pay more than your budget, and you’ll never pay more than the actual cost to reach the people who are more likely to help you achieve your goal
Test Multiple Adverts
Implementation of several versions of ads can help you determine what your target audience will respond to best.
- Get tested and control: Use an original version of the advert as a control to check the changes against
- Change one part at a time: This will assist you see clearly that the change affects the performance of your ad
- Create multiple versions of your ads: Replicating an ad by clicking “Create a similar advert ‘to look a specific ad in Manage Ads
When multiple ads are running on a campaign, Facebook automatically assign more than your daily budget to higher performing ads so it’s important to put your ads in different campaigns when testing.
Measure your advert performance
- Actions: Facebook focus on actions that will help you achieving the objectives of the advertising campaign. These may include Likes page, advertisement, Engagement page, install the app, App Engagement, install the mobile application, Clicks link (for ads offsite) Submit claims, responses and Conversions events.
- Reports: in-depth performance and demographic information to understand how their campaigns are doing over time. Run reports to optimize news feed ads shown in News.
- Ad Reporting level: The price and supply of each ad or sponsored story, previews of ads, total spent, the calculation of the “cost per action” for each advertisement, information about the action, the size and audience participation , and a summary of its targeting and performance to help you monitor the success of your ads.
- Response Graph: performance monitoring of your campaign clicks, CTR, impressions and actions in time, to see what changes are needed to keep your messaging cool.
Engage Your Audience
By posting content and have conversations on your page, you are building loyalty and creating opportunities to generate sales. Learn how to create content that will keep your audience interested.
Publish quality content regularly
When people like your page, they say they care about your business and delight to know what is happening. Submitting relevant content is the most important thing you can do to keep them interested.
How to write quality posts
- Ensure that your posts are relevant to your audience and business.
- Be brief, friendly, conversational.
- Share photos and videos, as they tend to be more attractive
- Ask questions or seek input
- Give access to the exclusive information and special offers
- Be appropriate by posting about current events, holidays and news
Tips about managing your posts
Organize your posts
Helping people to identify the most important content into your page:
- Pin: Make your valuable post more important to stay on top of the page for 7 days
- Star: Highlight important stories making them larger and more visible
- Hide: Hide messages that are no longer relevant or are not as important
Schedule your posts
Manage your time preparing messages in advance and schedule when to display on the page.
From your Page’s sharing tool:
- Click the clock icon in the lower-left of the sharing tool.
- Choose the future year, month, day, hour and minute when you’d want your post to appear.
- Click Schedule.
Post at least 1 to 2 times per week so you stay top-of-mind and relevant to the people who like your Page.
Promote your post to reach more people in news feed
Promoting your post is an easy way to reach more of the people who like your page and your friends in your news feed on desktop and mobile. Promote a post just blows more than it would appear on news channels of your audience.
Increase the likelihood that people will:
- See your message in their news feed
- Become aware of your business
- Respond to your offer or sales promotion
Check your Page Insights to see what’s working
Page Insights includes information such as which posts are working together with an overview of what is connected to your business. Check their views regularly to understand what is working for you on Facebook. Insights page are available once 30 people like your page. Invite people you know to like your page if you have 30 likes.
- Likes: Who likes your Page and how they found you.
- Reach: The demographic information and the number of unique people who have viewed the contents on the page.
- Talking about this: The only people who have created a story about your website including posts on your timeline page, likes, comments or shares your posts
Performance Measurements: The size and audience participation.
Performance graph: As each position has influenced the number of people who talk about your page and its scope.
Page post insights: Analytics on each of your Page posts.
Best Practice: Reply to your audience
Continue to engage: In order to encourage people to develop a relationship with your page and continue to engage them, make sure to respond to comments and private messages.
Address specific people: If many people have commented on a post, to deal with a specific person, you can tag your answer by typing @ before their name.
Keep track of messages: When people send you a private message, you will see a notification to this effect in your admin panel. Keep track of new messages and respond to them to let customers know that you are listening.
Influence Friends of Fans
When people interact with your page, their friends can see it in their News Feed as a story. Extend your audience by promoting stories of people involved in your page.
Encourage people to interact with your business
Word of mouth is the strongest form of advertising. When a person interacts with your business on Facebook, create a story. People can see when their friends support your business liking your page or connect with, and that may influence their purchasing decisions.
- Encourage people to sign up for your business with a sign in your shop, or offering a special discount for people who check in.
- Create events into your page and invite people to join them.
- Ask questions and create post encouraging participation.
- Share exclusive information and deals that people may want to pass on to their friends.
Expand your reach to friends of fans
Sponsored Stories are messages coming from friends about them working with your company. As a business, you can pay to promote these stories so there is a better chance of people see these interactions. Sponsored Stories can be displayed in the news feed on the desktop and mobile, and in the right column of Facebook.
Best Practice: Sponsored Stories work best for pages that have been liked by at least 100 people. There yet? Create an ad to build your audience and continue to publish interesting content.
Measure your performance
It is important to monitor how their sponsored stories are doing so you can make the necessary adjustments to achieve their goals. Insights page are the analysis of the page, but they will help you understand your audience and content that match. Ads Manager has information about the performance of your ad so you can learn the best ways to reach your target customers.
Page Insights Dos
- Watch the messages are the most common and talked. Sponsor these messages to further encourage participation.
- See where your likes come to understand how many people clicked Like on an ad or sponsored story pointing to your page.
Ads Manager Dos
- Check the statistics of your advertising goals and cost of your ad for each action to see what you are getting for your investment ad or sponsored story. If the cost per share increases, consider changing the content to encourage more people to take action and improve performance.
- Review the summary of the graphic campaign to see how the key actions are a time trend. Analyzed at the ad to see which of your ads are generating their key actions and continuing improvement in the best performing ads.
- Observe your campaign reaches the report online ad manager. If you are not reaching enough people, expand your selection criteria.
Hopefully you’ve read all the four steps to build the successful Facebook Page and have a list of things to try. Take your time and try different approaches to see what works best for you. I would love to give special thanks to Facebook for Business for the Information.